mysql2In order to get some of our 32 bit applications working on Windows 7 64 bit edition, we need to provide support for the MySQL 3.51 ODBC connector.

This is actually quite simple to do, as long as you know what to look for. The ODBC manager that you are able to access from within Windows is not going to work for you, but it turns out that Microsoft provide a 32 bit manager that will.

To use this manager, run the following command:

c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Please note that it is not good enough to just type odbcad32.exe, as there is another file in the path with the same file name (great work MS!). However, once you have opened this application up, it works in the exact same way as if you were running XP.

54 Thoughts on “Installing MyODBC 3.51 on Windows 7 x64

1. I found this page very helpful. I was trying to connect to an existing mysql server on my new windows 7 box and this suggestion fixed me right up. Thanks

2. Thank you!! Searched everywhere before I found this and it cleared up the problem.

3. Marc on May 6, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

Thanks, finally the connections for Business Objects work for Mysql on a Windows 7 x64

4. Incredible…

Thanks a lot.

Àngel

5. Sugie on May 12, 2010 at 4:35 am said:

Greatt!!!,
    I downloaded it and it Works like a miracle hahahahahaha,
    thanks very much ^^

6. Thanks a lot, you really saved my butt with this !!!!!

7. Thanks a lot. Your solution really help me to escape from hell

8. Wow! Thank you for helping in this, because it was too complex
    for me. Congratulations!
    The connection is successful!

9. Excellent resource. Thanks
    Windows 7 (64 bit) PC, also tried the mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.6-winx64.msi would not install. The mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.6-winx32.msi worked. However the ODBC Data Source Administrator does not show the connector under the User DSN or the System DSN. When you run the 32 bit manager it is a source.

10. Thanks to everyone for leaving comments. Good to know that I’ve helped. We thought we might have to re-write quite a bit of our code before we worked it out. Easy when you know how!

11. Sasa on July 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

e.x.t.r.a!!!!!!!!!!

12. Ashwin Raj on July 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

This did not work for me. I am not sure what I did wrong….

I installed MySQL ODBC 3.51 driver (using the x86, 64-bit ZIP download). At first, I could not install with the command “install 0″ and then I figured out it was because I had to run it as an Administrator. It seems to copy 8 files (myodbc*.*) to the %windir%\syswow64 and %windir%\system32 folders. As soon as this was done, I invoked the ODBC Manager referred in this article. The Manager came up but it does not list the MySQL ODBC 3.51 driver. When I start up the ODBC Manager from Administrative Tools, it displays the MySQL driver. I did set up the data source, but my application cannot find it. So that’s how I concluded something is quite not right.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Ashwin

13. Hi Ashwin,

I haven’t encountered a problem like this before. All that was necessary (during all of the installs I have done since I wrote this article) was just double clicking the MSI to install the software. Admin rights are required, but once the install is finished, I think the article method is still correct.

However, I was using the 32 bit installer, as the 64 bit installer was not suitable for our software (at the time). I suspect that this is reason it appears in the 64 bit ODBC manager and not in the specified one.

Are you able to use the 64 bit version? If not, uninstall it, download the 32 bit version and follow the guide… hopefully that will get you on your way!

Good luck.

Sam

14. This is very helpfull

15. Thanks! Worked great.

16. This is a great help. Many thanks.

17. Men… I LOVE YOU… I was just wondering, why I don’t have a MySQL database in new ODBC option…
    I have Win7 x64 …. now, I’m happy, because of you, I have functional ODBC datasoruce connected with mySQL.

God bless you pall :)

18. Thanks..god bless you..

19. pointer on December 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Very helpful. Thanks.

20. Extremely helpful. Many thanks.

21. It’s realy work. Download msi-file!

22. This looks to be a helpful article. Thanks allot!! It saved my time. Please keep posting these kind of articles.

23. Great help worked like a charm

24. Grateful IT Manager on February 3, 2011 at 1:25 am said:

Wow – looked all over and tried other suggestions but this one was the answer. It’s our first Windows 7 64-bit machine and am trying to work out compatibility issues with existing network and servers. THANKS!!!

25. Thanks very much! Very Helpful.

26. Thank you very much! I have spent 2 houres before found this blog!!!

27. ProfMarcos on July 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm said:

Obrigado, seu tutorial continua nos ajudando…

28. Sampath on August 3, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

Good to have friends like you! It is the mutual help that has helped the software field flourish.

29. Rupali on August 20, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

Hi,
    I am using mysql 3.51 on win XP, Now i formated my PC and install Win 7, Then install mysql 3.51
    I am not able to see databases in WinMySQLAdmin1.4.exe
    On win XP I can see databases & also able read from command prompt. But on win 7 not able to read mysql from command prompt also.

30. Thanks a lot. Your solution really in a big way.

31. so helpful. thank you

32. toto

33. Ojwang on October 18, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

Very helpful

34. Hi Rupali, Did you try accessing the odbc manager as described in the post? You will probably need to remove any existing DSN you have created and then recreate it using the command above.

35. ANDRAXIOR on December 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm said:

wOrk gReaT foR mE tOO

36. Andrew on December 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

Thanks!! Even one year later the best solution for the problem.

37. Hello,

Using a connector-ODBC Windows (x86, 32-bit) MSI, I created a DSN file to connect access 2010 (x32), and Mysql 5.1 over Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate.

The connection test is successful, but when I try to link tables a -7778 error appears. Some idea?

Thanks in advance

38. Hi Hector. I haven’t tried using MySQL via Access for a very long time. It may be worth trying the 3.51 version of MyODBC in case it offers better compatibility – but it’s not something I have seen before.

It may be worth checking this post out, if you havent already.

…or this one here which seems to suggest an updated version 3.51 might work:

Good luck, and please comment again if you work it out [for future reference]!

39. Thanks! It works.

The http://legacy.basis.com/support/kb/kb00509.html has the solution

“This error occurs when the File Data Source is selected from Access. If the data source is selected from Access’ Machine Data Sources tab, then the error will not occur.”

40. Brilliant! This fixed a problem I’d been messing with for 2 days.

41. enofman on February 21, 2012 at 2:59 am said:

The command on my machine is as follow:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

The capital WOW is needed

Thank you for the knowledge it made it easy after I found the dir

42. Damn, that was REALLY helpful!!

Thanks a lot!

43. thank you!

44. The damn thing works!!!

45. Stephen on July 24, 2012 at 8:38 am said:

Thank you very much !
    It solve all my problem.

46. As a windows sysadmin for years, the above is correct. What I found to be of issue is when I use ooBase to make a remote mysql connection, there is a type mismatch i.e. 64 bit application trying to use 32 bit driver!! Any Suggestions?

47. Ijaz Ahmad on November 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

hope to find true solution

48. please share the screen shots of creating dsn for mysql plz thanks in advance

49. Reginaldo on November 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

Thanks, your tip was very valuable to solve my problem with MySql connector in windows 7 64bit

Comment navigation